- 9 Jan '00
- Kid rock joined Metallica on stage in Minneapolis, MN, USA and sang the chorus of Turn the Page along with James. Kid Rock was supporting Metallica on their short mini tour.
- 23 Feb '00
- The big M added another Grammy Award to their collection. This one for Garage Inc's Whiskey In The Jar for Best Hard Rock Performance. This is Metallica's fifth Grammy.
- 20 Mar '00
- single "No Leaf Clover" released. Again there will be 3 different versions of the single. Fans can also watch a 45 minute CD-ROM documentary on Metallica's symphonic collaboration split in 15 minute edits across the single's 3-CD format
- 13 Apr '00
- 11 year old Rueben Moss fronts with 14 year old Evan Moss on drums and backing vocals. Jason is to sit in on 6 of their songs from their first CD "North Side of the Tree." The show was at Last Day Saloon in San Francisco.
- 13 Apr '00
- In what marks the first significant blow in the brewing battle between artists and the emerging online music distribution aid Napster, Metallica has filed suit against the tech company. The metal giants filed suit in U.S. District Court naming Napster, and several schools. The suit charges Napster and the schools in question with copyright infringement, unlawful use of digital audio interface device, and violations of the Racketeering Influenced & Corrupt Organizations Act Napster is still in its relative infancy, but the technology has managed to nestle itself at the center of a media storm (and to raised the ire of the music) during its brief life span. Napster boasts that its technology gives users one simple interface through which to search for and download MP3s of their favorite songs. Metallica and co-plaintiffs E/M Ventures and Creeping Death Music claim that the company "encourages and enables visitors to its website to unlawfully exchange with others copyrighted songs and sound recordings without the knowledge or permission of Metallica."
- 25 Apr '00
- The radio play for the soundtrack song "I dissappear" for the movie "Mission impossible II" started on the 25th of April. The movie soundtrack was released two weeks later. This song was available on the net in MP3 format prior to this and some radio station even played it before it was official released.
- 2 May '00
- The band did an online chat with the fans to explain why they started the Napster case. Proir to the chat Metallica made an official statement saying (edited) "Metallica is suing Napster because we felt that someone had to address this important artistic issue, and we have always been known for taking a leadership role in the fight for artist�s rights. We were the first band to sue our record company, Time Warner, for the right to control our future. Rather than allowing the record company �or any other corporation� to own our recordings and compositions, we chose to fight for (and eventually win) control of our music. This issue is no different. Why is it all of a sudden okay to get music for free? Why should music be free, when it costs artists money to record and produce it?"
- 4 May '00
- Kirk Hammett was welcomed on stage to jam with Sammy Hager and the WaboRitas.
- 18 May '00
- the world welcomed James' son Castor Virgil Hetfield at 3:23 PM. He's a big boy at nine pounds and six ounces, and 22 1/2 inches long. Mom and son are doing great.
- 1 Jun '00
- Motorhead played at the Maritime Hall in San Francisco. Right before the last song, James Hetfield came on stage, grabbed a guitar and said "These are the godfathers of heavy metal" and then jammed with them on Overkill.
- 3 Jun '00
- Performed at the 2000 MTV Movie Awards, at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California. Metallica played "I Disappear," from the Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack
- 26 Jun '00
- New single as "I disappear" is released. This is the soundtrack for "Mission impossible 2" and the first track Metallica wrote for a movie. They wanted them to do the theme but said no and this did song instead. The soundtrack album was released 7th of July.
- 23 Jun '00
- Short US tour starts in Memorial Stadium in Seattle
- 4 Jul '00
- A 21-year-old man fell to his death at Baltimore stop on the Summer Sanitarium 2000 tour The victim, identified as Martin Muscheet of Connecticut, fell from the upper deck of Psinet Stadium on to the pavement outside the venue. It appears he had his legs over the railing and either fell or lost his balance.
- 7 Jul '00
- James wasn't on stage with the band when they played in Atlanta as he were in the hospital with a few disks in his lower back slipped out of place. Here is a review of the show from encycmet.com As for the show, Kirk, Lars and Jason came out and explained the situation and said that they will be playing again in Atlanta on August 4th to make up for Jaymz's abscence. They came out about 30-45 minutes later in their usual attire and began the show. The show was filled with a lot of guest apperances including members from Kid Rock, System of a down and Korn.
- 11 Jul '00
- 18 Jul '00
- The veteran band played a secret gig at the House of Blues for 1,000 contest winners from across the United States, none of whom knew for sure who would be taking the stage until the curtains were pulled back. Before leaving the stage, Lars thanked Miller "for helping pay the rent this month"
- 2 Aug '00
- First of 6 "make-up-shows" since Metallica could't play full set when James was injured. People could enter using the old ticket stub. For these shows Corrosion of Conformity opened for them
- 6 Sep '00
- Metallica and Dr.Dre contacted several universities and asked them to ban "Napster" on the schools computers.
- 26-27 Sep '00
- Rumors said that the band were in the "One on one" studio to start recording on their next CD, but the truth was that they were there to record an episode of VH1's "Classic albums" program.
- 5 Nov '00
- Kirk Hammett among other stars and musician join forces in a protest march in San Francisco against the increase rental prices for rehearsal studios. The new echonomy with all the internet companies made a higher demand for rooms, so many bands and artists were kicked out. Kirk also had a speach at the event.
- 17 Nov '00
- James is know to be a big Misfits fan, and he has been so for more than 20 years. The Misfits played in San Francisco and Mr. Hetfield was in the crowd. He hopped onstage with them during their gig at Maritime Hall to sing with the ghouls on "Last Caress" and, later in the set, "Die, Die My Darling."
- 30 Nov '00
- Metallica was invited to perform at the "VH1 music award" and you know the guys, they always have to do something different. Metallica played at the parking lot outside for 200 fans and fanclub members, instead of playing inside in front of other celebrities. They also won the price for "Best stage spectacle".
- Jan '01
- Lars is in New York mastering the debut album by Systematic, a band he has signed to his label "The record company". Peter Collins is producing the LP.
- 17 Jan '01
- The news shocks the whole world of Metallica fans, Jason will leave the band! Metallica did a full press-release which said:
- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 17, 2001
STATEMENT FROM THE MEMBERS OF METALLICA
Metallica regrets to announce that after 14 years as Metallica's bass player, Jason Newsted has chosen to leave the band.
Jason Newsted: "Due to private and personal reasons, and the physical damage that I have done to myself over the years while playing the music that I love, I must step away from the band. This is the most difficult decision of my life, made in the best interest of my family, myself, and the continued growth of Metallica. I extend my love, thanks, and best wishes to my brothers: James, Lars, and Kirk and the rest of the Metallica family, friends, and fans whom have made these years so unforgettable."
Newsted joined Metallica from Flotsam And Jetsam in the fall of 1986 after the tragic death of bassist Cliff Burton. He participated in the recording of 6 Metallica albums (...And Justice For All, Metallica, Load, Re-Load, Garage Inc., and S&M), which have sold over 55 million copies worldwide to date. In addition, he played on numerous worldwide tours to millions of fans representing over 1000 gigs in all. While with Metallica, the band won countless awards including 5 Grammy Awards and 2 MTV Video Music Awards.
James Hetfield: "Playing with someone who has such unbridled passion for music will forever be a huge inspiration. On stage every night, he was a driving force to us all, fans and band alike. His connection will never be broken."
Lars Ulrich: "We part ways with Jason with more love, more mutual respect, and more understanding of each other than at any other point in the past. James, Kirk and I look forward to embracing the next chapter of Metallica with both a huge amount of appreciation for the last 14 years with Jason and the excitement of rising to the challenges that lay ahead to make Metallica shine brighter than ever."
In the spring, Metallica will begin writing and recording a new studio album with release sometime in late 2001 or early 2002.
Kirk Hammett: "Jason is our brother. He will be missed."
- 1 Feb '01
- "Who want to be a millionaire" TV program with Lars Ulrich is recorded at ABC TV's studios. This was an all-star episode of the game show and each celebrity picked a charity to donate the money to, and they were guaranteed $32,000 even if they never hit the seat. Lars got out on the $64,000 question, about a comedy act, but still won $32,000 which he gave to a hospital for homeless in San Francisco. The show was broadcasted on the 11th of February
- 11 Feb '01
- MacFarlane Toys is showing the Metallica action figures to the public for the first time at the Manhattan's Toy Fair. The models are based on the band during And justice for all.
- 11 Feb '01
- James and Lars showed up Sunday night at the Cactus Club in downtown San Jose to watch friends and former tour mates, Corrosion of Conformity perform. Since C.O.C hasnt performed in a few years in Bay area it was no suprise to see James, a long time fan of the band, in attendance. About halfway through the set Hetfield got up on stage and played a song with them.
Saturday, September 18, 2010
HISTORY PT 2 Here is the 4th part of the Metallica diary. If you find anything missing please tell me, and I'll see what I can do!